Monday, June 29, 2009

Love of the City - Mumbai!!!


Mumbai has got this strange thing. You'll find the stunningly posh area of the city & barely 10 steps ahead you'll see the real slums. Be it Carter Road, be it Mahim-Dharavi, or be it Worli See Face.

Dharavi is a known name when Mumbai's Geography is talked about. Recently featured in Oscar Winning Movie 'Slumdog Millionaire' Child actors of this movie actually live in Dharavi. This is a place which is barely 3-4 KM from my accomodation in Mumbai.

Dharavi - Largest slum of Asia as they say. Maybe not true anymore - Orangi Town in Pakistan is bigger, but still Dharavi got highest density - almost million inhabitants in just 0.7 square mile. Pheww....!!! Even I got to know it recently!!!

Dharavi provides cheap, illegal accomodation in a very strategical area - between Mahim & Sion, in the center of Mumbai. Rent is just 4 USD per month! Don't think that if it's a slum, Dharavi residents have nothing to do. There is lot of business going on, annual turnover is around 650 million USD. Can you beat that??? Business areas include pottery, textile, recycling (junk). Go to Dharavi & see everything yourself. People are friendly (but not all :P).

In 18th Century Dharavi was an island inhabited by Koli Fishermen, but when it got dry migrants from Gujrat came and established a potter's colony, Muslims from Tamil Nadu set up Leather Tanning Industry. Dharavi is home to Mumbai's first Tamil School. And Many other firsts are on it's name.

That was little search-research on a part of Mumbai - The city I am loving!!!

-------------------------------------------
Early moring, i get up & sit in the window facing huge building. I take a deep breath, count 5 & close my eyes. I dream of the things I have to achieve & Lie down! I remember the people I love & open my eyes. I bow to the goodness of the world. push my adrenalin & bring those goosebumps that propel my day. I stand up & move for Gym.

Today I did 2.8 Km in 16 min.
A week later I expect it in 15 Min.
A month Later in 13 Min.
6 months later I want to run a marathon!!!
I am game for it!!!
----------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi..i hv been following ur blog for quite sometime. n finally thought of leaving a comment. though u write abt ur daily chores..a diary entry so to say..but dere is somethng abt it dat keeps me hooked on..so keep writing :)

Passionate said...

Writing posts keeps me strong. Its a parking space for my emotions.

Thank you for the comments :)
Good Times!!