Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bombay Diaries....

2 weeks & a day, and time has gone by in moving from 'ye baju' to 'wo baju', it's been a tiring but lovely experience.

While standing on footpath & talking to a friend on phone, it felt so odd to be standing still in a crowd which hardly halted. It felt so odd to pause that now I smile when I see people stopping to talk on phones, but rarely I get such smiles. Truely, mobiles were invented for Mumbai. No one stops in the city, they crawl, they drag, they do whatever but stopping is a sin. "Mumbai goes on", "Mumbai never stops" is not at all hollow talk. Attitude of the city rocks.

Local Trains are as good as deccan flights, just that in locals, beauties stay in a seperate compartment. In both you struggle for leg room but the feel in local is so dam realistic. In CST-Andheri local of 9.05 AM, just when you think there's no space left, a voice comes from the trian "Dude, jump in it's half empty".

The only struggle here is to find empty spaces, please show me the vacant land. Every single inch is efficiently sky scraped or will carry the architechtural marvel, yeah architechtural marvel thats what you say when you see a dangling chall/hut supporting two more over it. Winds & storms never seem to take them away.

It was a welcoming rain which took more than 24 hours to stop & the struggle to reach for induction programme was all the more fun. Locals stopped but not the spirited people of the city. I also tried hands on 'no stopping' attitude. My auto got broken in knee high waters & I lended my hanky to autowallah to clean spark plug with that. Drenched I was but held my umbrella over him so that he mends the fault. Loved doing that. My formals were oozing water, leather shoes were crying. But it was lovely to take hand of a old man & help him to cross the road having knee high water. A blessing he gave :) . School going children were jumping & hopping in water as if they were in Alice's Wonderland.

The city, thats the benchmark of efficiencies (be it local trains, commuting people or the land space), instead of stopping & worrying about rain creates 1000 business opportunities from it. To know that you have to be in Mumbai......

WELCOME TO MUMBAI
Week:3, Day:2
@1st Floor, Kidswear Buying Team, Knowledge House/Head Office, Future Group.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats the spirit:)

Scribblers Inc said...

I so want to check the place out...and I am coming this month end!!!

Scribblers Inc.

Chronicler said...

loved it absolutely... u seem to be thoroughly njoing urself there despite the downpour... gud gud.. and I know it really feels nice to help out people that too strangers especially on an impulse...

Vartika said...

aaaww
u make me miss my beloved!
my city!
cant wait for august and the four day long date!
it is not for nothing mumbaikars so fondly call it *aamchi mumbai
:)
njoi ur stay...take in as much of the city as you can...

Solitaire said...

Love it or not? I have never lived in Mumbai but always hear good things about it from its residents.

Passionate said...

@ Anonymous
This city infuses the spirit

@ Scribblers inc
Most Welcome :)
Just dive in the pae of the city.

@ Swayam
Yeah, I am having good time though the downpour is li'l lesser compared to other years. Touchwood.
Holding ol man's hand & making him cross the road had its own charm

@ Vartica
Now the city is mine also...yes, taking in city everyday, traces of vada pav, bhel puri are still in stomach.

@ Solitaire
Yeah, its good...u might not like it initialy but the city will make you adore atleast few of its things in very less time. Hey, Mumbai Beaches are waiting for you :)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

i so love d spirit of Mumbai :)